Angus McRae – Angus McRae Insurance
by Richard Stokes
Angus McRae is the President and founder of Angus McRae Insurance. He started his firm over 20 years ago and brings a wealth of insurance knowledge and expertise to his clients and business partners. For February’s North Metro Medical Managers Association meeting, Angus is going to be talking to us about a very hot topic – Health Care Reform and the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
This subject is so important right now because in 2014 the vast majority of President Obama’s health reform law, the Affordable Care Act, goes into effect.
Angus states that this law will impact every US citizen and employer in one way or another and that many employers have actually convinced themselves that this law will not affect them. The reality is that what may have worked for employers in the past may actually be illegal under the ACA.
In the presentation he is going to talk about:
- The background of why the law was enacted
- An overview of the law
- The functions of the Health Insurance Exchanges (HIEs)
- ACA penalties and how employers can eliminate or minimize their effects
- Cost issues that will impact individuals and employers
Angus’ goal is to have you leave with a greater understanding of the law and whether or not you need to be taking some corrective action in your practice. In addition to thinking about these during the presentation, here is what he would like you to start doing afterwards:
- Determine if you are a small or large group
- Determine your plan’s grandfathered status and the implications of not being grandfathered
- Analyze your premium contribution schedules in light of ACA requirements / employer penalties
- Review the ACA waiting period, deductible and W-2 compliance
- Ensure that your budgeting for future years is realistic given the new ACA environment
If you like to do your own research, Angus suggests you take a look at the following link:
This is going to be a very timely and informative subject so if you haven’t already registered for this month’s event, please do so. Also, feel free to share this with your peers, colleagues and connections and invite them to attend as well. North Metro Medical Managers Association.
Network 1 Consulting is a 15-year-old, IT Support company in Atlanta, GA. We become – or augment – the IT department for professional services companies: law firms, medical practices and financial services firms. Our IT experts can fix computers – but what our clients really value is the industry-specific best practices we bring to their firm. This is especially important with technology, along with regulations and cyber threats, changing so rapidly. We take a proactive approach to helping our clients use technology to gain and keep their competitive advantage.